Full-Time Woodworker / Craftsman
Passion for fine furniture making in a production shop. Take pride in building world-class furniture while hitting deadlines. An interest in learning about all aspects of production, and what differentiates us plus the motivation to grow. Must be able to work independently and in a team environment. Strong attention to detail is a must. Minimum three years woodworking experience required.
Superior skills in general stock selection, machining and joinery, strong time management skills and the ability to solve problems related to the work at hand. Good communication skills and a cooperative style in working with other shop mates is critical. Design talents and ability to draw in CAD or render freehand would be a great addition to the skill set.
Prepare work according to work orders and specifications; checking equipment and tools; calibrating parts, components, materials, and supplies requirements; obtaining and selecting wood, materials and supplies; ability to alter designs as needed; prepare time and cost reports.
Follow appropriate methods for cutting, shaping, and assembling parts; setting-up and operating equipment, including power saws, planers, sanders, jointers, routers; measuring and marking materials; verifying dimensions; trimming parts using hand tools, including planes, spoke shaves, chisels, wood files, and sanders.
Assemble units by attaching parts and components using fasteners and adhesives; verifying dimensions; trimming and adjusting parts.
Finish units by sanding, staining, sealing, and painting surfaces; adding hardware.
Maintain safe, secure, and healthy environment by adhering to organization standards and policies, and legal regulations, including Material Safety Data Sheets.
Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions and established procedures; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
Keep supplies ready by checking stock; anticipating needs; placing and expediting orders; verifying receipt; stocking items.
Control costs by conserving use of equipment and supplies, and managing time efficiently.
A good attitude: You’ll work with a variety of personalities and will need good communication skills. Written and oral, clear and concise communication is a must.
- Organization – Creating and keeping an organized workspace and shop.
- Quality Control – Conducting inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality and/or performance. Make suggestions for changes as needed.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Materials Management – Keeping track of materials used and ordering in a timely fashion.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Time Management – Managing and track your own time.